Resources for Churches Reaching Out to Include Children with Disabilities and Their Families
- Bradley, Lorna* (2015) Special Needs Parenting: From Coping to Thriving. Minneapolis: Huff Publishing.
- Carter, Erik W. (2007) Including People with Disabilities in Faith Communities: A Guide for Service Providers, Families, and Congregations. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Lee, Amy Fenton (2013) Leading a Special Needs Ministry: A Practical Guide to Including Children and Loving Families. Cummings, GA: Orange.
- Mitchum, Naomi* (2015) Every Child Can Bloom in the Inclusive Classroom: A Quick Look Disability Handbook for Sunday School Teachers and Any Teachers Working with Children. Houston: Ramps'nthings Press.
- Newman, Barbara J. (2015) Accessible Gospel, Inclusive Worship. Wyoming, MI: CLC Network.
- Newman, Barbara J. (2011) Autism and Your Church: Nurturing the Spiritual Growth of People with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Revised edition). Grand Rapids: Friendship Ministries.
- Wetherbee, Katie & Philo, Jolene (2015) Every Child Welcome: A Ministry Handbook for Including Kids with Special Needs. Grand Rapids: Kregel Ministry.
Web-based and Video Resources for Teacher Training
- Bradley, Lorna* (blog) “Special Needs Parenting: Experiencing God on the Journey with Special Needs.”
- Collaborative on Faith & Disability — Resources, Creative Ideas, and Networks for Inclusive Religious Education.
- Disability Ministries Committee of the United Methodist Church* — Resource page.
- Disability Ministries Committee of the United Methodist Church* — The Voice of the United Methodist Disability Connection Newsletter: Fall 2014 Issue on Inclusion
- Diva Communications (2009): A Place for All: Faith and Community for Persons with Disabilities
- Faith Inclusion Network of Hampton Roads (FIN) That All May Worship-2015 Embracing Inclusion Conference - Speakers include:
- Habib, Dan (2009) Including Samuel
- Highland Park United Methodist Church*
- Lee, Amy Fenton (2012) Surviving to Thriving: Successfully Including the Child with Special Needs Orange
- Mitchum, Naomi*: Special Needs and Emergency Planning tabs
- Snow, Kathie: Disability is Natural
- Taylor, Courtney E., Carter, Erik W., Annandale, Naomi H.*, Boehm, Thomas L., & Logeman, Aimee K. (2014) Welcoming People with Developmental Disabilties and Their Families: A Practical Guide for Congregations, Nashville: Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities
- Tip Sheets and Resources - Disability Specific. Nashville: Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities.
- Walsh, Mary Beth, Walsh, Alice F., & Gaventa, William C. (2009) Autism and Faith: A Journey into Community. New Brunswick: NJ: The Elizabeth M. Boggs Center on Developmental Disabilities.
Lynn Swedberg, May 2018
* Author is/ authors are United Methodist